Pages InformationWriter Jogye Date13 Aug 2015 Read3,180 Comment0
Path of Buddhism
If you want to be enlightened, practice the Noble Eightfold Path.
If you do so, you will achieve joy, peace and wisdom.
-The Buddha's Last Teaching to Subhadda
The Noble Eightfold Path is the foundation of Buddhism and provides the basic guidelines for virtuous living. The Buddha taught the Noble Eightfold Path in his first teachings to his five disciples and continuously taught it for the next 45 years.
1. Right View: To understand things correctly as they are.
2. Right Thought: To think in a right way.
3. Right Speech: To speak honestly and truthfully.
4. Right Action: To act in right and compassionate ways.
5. Right Livelihood: To make a living in the right way.
6. Right Effort: To make right and steady effort diligently.
7. Right Mindfulness: To be awake and mindful in every moment.
8. Right Concentration: To stabilize the mind correctly.
- excerpt from Buddhist English (Elementary 1) published in 2014 by the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism